Friday, February 14, 2014

Back in the Game




Finally last weekend the ban on skiing was lifted and I was able to hit the road again. Listening to stories about the skiing in eastern Tirol really intrigued me. Therefor, early on Saturday morning we revved up the engine and headed east. I have never skied in the eastern parts of Austria before and I love it. The resorts we have been skiing are smaller and usually have just one main chairlift or a gondola - They remind me of the best days of the last season.

The amount of snow in Ost Tirol is unbelievable compared to Innsbruck.
For the time being, the usual crew was missing members as Rupi is roaming around Asia, working on his tan and Bernie was taking a weekend off after some rough skiing the week earlier. Luckily I was joined by few fellow Finns. We had a nice sunny day in Sillian, located just by the Italian border. It was a great start after the break. I had some good skiing and was able to ski outside my comfort zone. I was rolling on my new Nordica Patrons and all the struggling earlier in the trees of Dolomite's was behind me. It is unbelievable how much few centimeters in length and a bit more rocker can do for the way you ski. 

I believe the short edit in the beginning is the best way to describe how much fun I had in Sillian!


The story continues...

The owner was working all day to get the roof cleared and he wasn't even close to finishing when we left.


Part 2 of the edit: Skiing in Obertilliach



As it has been a busy week I have few more short stories to tell. So we had our last exam of the semester this Monday. It meant only one thing; My alarm went off at five am and 45 mins later I drove passat out of the garage and cruised to Bernie's where he and Matt were waiting eagerly to start the journey. The destination was close to Sillian; a small resort in the village of Obertilliach. I had tons of fun driving the snowy roads: oh dear I miss all the cars with manual handbrakes. The town was completely buried and it was dumping more. The whole setup was rather idyllic: Narrow streets and a beautiful church in the middle.
Skiing was both adventurous and FUN. So many different lines. The terrain in Golzentipp is simply magnificent! I think I will be calling it the Rofan of east.



For the second day me and Bernie had planned a relaxing tour at the Dolomites. Our idea was to take a single trip to the top, tour up to the Val Mezdi, ski down and then take the bus back to the car. Well apparently the day was not supposed to go easy on us. I normally don't have difficulties waking up early but this morning was something else. When we reached Corvara the wind was way stronger than expected. It was strong that the avalanche danger was raised to level 5. On top of that we were soon to realize that Italian ski resorts do not understand the idea of ski buses. The only way to ski Val Mezdi would have been to buy the 50 euro ski pass. 25 euros per lift did sound a bit high and after weighting the options for a while we decided to leave Italy and head back to East Tirol.


All in all, even thought the day was destined to be a disaster we ended up having loads of fun cruising under neath the deep blue skies. It was an excellent learning experience and a reminder of the fact that mother nature can change her mind as fast as any woman could. Today we are heading for a quick valentine's day run in Stubai. "Let there be love."





No comments:

Post a Comment